Re: Header Questions (Last Received:)

2004-06-03 10:25:18
At 11:47 2004-06-03 +0200, Dallman Ross wrote:

> >I've been studying my "Last Received:" header entries.  In
> >particular, the ones added by my server (pop server?) raq2.xxxx.com.

Seeing as the _bottommost_ ones shouldn't with any consistency have one's own ISP involved, this description of the headers didn't seem to identify the headers with the content you indicate. The topmost, LAST-in-the-timeline headers would however, assuming you receive mail via your ISP server, and if it's your POP server, it sort of stands to reason that you do - excepting for people using crutches like fetchmail.

That said, most all of Sean's comments are still valid.

Uhm, for my own edification, which _weren't_ ?

Excepting the presumption of the server being "his" mail server (and for the purpose of the ones referring to his ISP, that presumption should be reasonably valid, even if the hardware isn't his legal property), it certainly seems like they all still apply. Any given received header which identified a host you reasonably know received the message (be it YOUR own host, or a host you use - and know received it because it's the header chronologically before yours and your host retrieves it from them, etc), is inserted by the host identified in the "received: from .... (....) BY *HOSTNAME* via ... with ID ... at ...." line (where HOSTNAME is the host which you know was the recipient in the transaction).

Received headers chronologically prior to any host you can positively identify reception by (linearly below it, in the order they are inserted into the message headers) are all suspect, as Dallman has already pointed out in his "putative" comment.

If these were indeed the bottommost, earliest, "first in the timeline" received headers, then they should be identifying message transmission from the original author to THEIR ISP mail server, not to yours.

I score the non-resolving IP ("no RDNS for host passing message to our MX"), hosts identifying only by an IP ("no hostname at point of transfer to our MX"), some suspicious hostnames ("Received headers include suspicious reference"), the "may be forged" warning, from my own host (spammers now frequently try to send messages using an EHLO of the same hostname as the host/domain portion of the address they're sending to), and a host of other Received: header anomalies.