Re: Counting hits

2004-06-03 09:41:36
On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 10:02:00PM -0400, fleet(_at_)teachout(_dot_)org wrote:

I've come up with the following scheme to count "hits." I have a
couple of questions below the example:

I am not clear on what you are counting.  What do you consider "hits"?

I have in any case trimmed all but some action lines in order to make
a point:

| echo -e 0 > spamtest/$PID.ctr

  | read var < spamtest/$PID.ctr && let var=var+1 && echo $var >
spamtest/$PID.ctr

SPAMVAL=`cat spamtest/$PID.ctr`

| rm spamtest/$PID.ctr

Whatever you're counting, I have a hard time understanding why you need
four different pipes to shell and/or file writes to do it.  That seems
tremendously inefficient.

You ought to be able to count most anything right in native procmail
language.

Maybe you can explain at a more basic level what you are trying to do?

--
dman