Let the flamewars begin; call for procmail Spam blocking strategy, suggestions & information

2004-06-04 06:17:23
Gentlemen (and women).....
we are considering spam blocking/filtering using procmail, which we already use
on our
mail server which runs AIX, sendmail and procmail.

I value all input, but please let's not devolve into holy war; admit to the
possibility of
honorable difference of opinion.

I would assume that some of the various approaches might involve:
1) how email is filtered/access restricted, from something like scanning to
Timo's Email
Passwording (which we couldn't do).
2) kind, dedicated people who maintain a spam signature repository
3) strategies for quarantining suspect mail that would be reasonably usable for
users'
retrieval/persusal of the questionable email and transfer of 'good' mail to
INBOX,
folders, ?
4) user front ends for controlling the blocking....any honest appraisal of the procmail syntax would have allow that it's a loaded gun in the hands of a 4 year old for most users.

I am looking to keep this as simple and efficient as possible.  I try to avoid
re-inventing the wheel and being a hero.  Cheap is important, too...free would
be a good
price, given the parsimonious IT budget of a small liberal arts college.
Dependability and long-term existence of a signature repository are important.

We *don't* want to spend a significant part of somebody's time regenning
signatures to
deal with the latest idiocy from the spammers......

Not asking for much, sorry.

The simplest solution for us would probably be if someone was already
supporting a
procmail spam signature repository.

Comments, criticism and brickbats?

--
====
Stewart Dean, Unix System Admin, Henderson Computer Resources