Re: perl script to remail contents of mbox file

2004-06-11 05:25:56
All,
  To clarify my previous predicament: yes, I screwed up the
/etc/procmailrc for our domain and (single MX) mail server.
Hey, I am human.  I'll bet other sysadmins using procmail
system-wide have done the same thing that I did.  I learned
from the experience.

The email going into the trash folder was everybody's email,
not just mine.  The perl script was written in desperation.

Sean Straw is correct that the MTA log should be consulted.
I run the latest version of sendmail with logLevel=12, so I've
got the info.  His analysis is the comprehensive solution.

I ran the script on my trash mailbox, and it remailed about 95%
of the messages (about 1200).   I am somewhat surprised that
I have gotten zero queries about this from recipients:  why was
this email so late?, why did I get this message?, etc.  People
are quick to complain about email screw-ups.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College