Re: Search this list's archives? (was Re: Matching received headers)

2004-06-21 13:07:29
At 12:24 2004-06-21 -0400, Lee Hoffner wrote:

Dallman's answer makes it sound like the facility is already there, but I
looked again and I don't see it.

FOLLOW THE LINK FROM THE PROCMAIL HOMEPAGE (WHICH IS WHAT DALLMAN POSTED IN HIS MESSAGE):

IT IS *NOT* THE LINK FROM rwth-aachen.de WHICH YOU JUST POSTED:

This is the archive page, right? No form that says "Search" and no dropdown
menu that lets me select "Subject" as the "what" to search.
http://mailman.rwth-aachen.de/pipermail/procmail/

The _official_ archive (as linked from the PROCMAIL HOMEPAGE, which would be a good starting point when looking for info on procmail), supports a basic search expression syntax (not regexp, but it allows for some fuzzy stuff). It also contains archives back to circa 1995 or so, not just 2000 (which is when the listserv host changed things around).

The expression:

        Subject:;Received:

Will match for messages containing both Received: and Subject:. You will have a slight problem in that Glimpse will no doubt be matching the Subject: line of the message itself, not just the body.

If you want complex searching options, I advise you to simply download the archives and manipulate them on your own system with whatever tools you must obviously have there.

If you believe this list should instead have some search engine which supports such terms as "under", "near", and "like", please feel free to provide a link to a list which DOES have this capability, and consider simply setting up a proper archive and your own search (though if you do, please exercise due dilligence to protect email addresses from harvesting, something which all too many archive maintainers don't bother to do).