Re: how to apply a new recipe to already arrived messages?

2004-06-21 12:58:42
At 14:52 2004-06-21 -0400, Jean-Bernard Addor wrote:
Hello,

How are you doing? Thanks for all who replied.

I apologize for beeing so difficult to read, (it was clear for me).

I have promail configured and working since many years.

My question is that often I decide to make a new recipe when I see messages
in my INBOX which should go somethere else. So I add a new rule to my config
and it is working for new messages, but the messages which already arrived,
before I add the rule,

take old mailbox, MOVE it to new file (this is so that you don't have a circular mailbox - reading from a file you're appending to).

formail -s procmail < moved_mailbox

This will SPLIT the mailbox to individual messages and invoke procmail to run regular delivery to your userid on each message. Your revised procmailrc will be processed. Messages with new destinations will go there, messages that would have gone to your inbox or wherever will go there.

NOTE: IF YOU HAVE ANY RULES WHICH INVOKE EXTERNAL PROGRAMS OR FORWARD COPIES OF MESSAGES YOU SHOULD DEAL WITH MAKING A COPY OF YOUR .procmailrc AND EDITING IT TO DISABLE THESE RULES SINCE THEY'D HAVE PROCESSED THE PREVIOUSLY RECEIVED MESSAGES ALREADY.

[please snip when replying]