Re: how to apply a new recipe to already arrived messages?

2004-06-21 12:35:26
On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 02:52:03PM -0400, Jean-Bernard Addor wrote:

I apologize for beeing so difficult to read, (it was clear for me).

(I understood it, fwiw.)

I have promail configured and working since many years.

My question is that often I decide to make a new recipe when I see
messages in my INBOX which should go somethere else. So I add a new
rule to my config and it is working for new messages, but the messages
which already arrived, before I add the rule, they remain in my
INBOX. I would like to find a way to have these messages going in the
folder they have, using the same rules as for incoming messages. And
messages which have no rules should remain in my INBOX and the
messages which go to other folder should no more remain in my INBOX
after the application of the rules.

Yes, and Cyrille Lefevre actually had a good answer in his follow-up
to you, which I will quote:

mv inbox oldbox
formail -ds procmail < oldbox

Make sure "oldbox" is not in the line of procmail's new write output.

You probably don't need the -d flag, but try it without or with
to see.  (See "man formail".)

Btw, since you and Cyrille both seem to be French (I am making an
educated guess), maybe you should just write each other in French. :-)
No, that was unfair of me to suggest, as Cyrille might not at all
appreciate it.  Never mind.  :-)

--
dman