Re: Is there a way

2004-07-21 07:16:46
Udi Mottelo wrote:

        Right, it's a question of point of view.  In my site if
        the users have problem they call to the system group and
        we figure out the problem and logs.  We prefer that the
        user will not be able to change logs.  In small places where
        the users are more sophisticated you can assume that they
        really do want the control.

It depends on what you're logging and at what stage you're logging it. It's also a mess to make each of those admin-level logs readable by the applicable user but not by all the other users, unless it's -- darn, can't remember which OS is like this -- you're running an OS where each user gets a personal group. Then every logfile could be owned by root, assigned to the user's personal group, and created with 640 perms.