Re: Is there a way

2004-07-21 11:32:52

Most of my users are clueless about what's in the logfile or how to read it. I need the logfiles so that I can figure out what's going when i have system wide rule that's trapping somebodie's mail. I had a single logfile for all users, plus they have their own logfile which is set in their own ~/.procmailrc. I've got a single K6II 550 trying to handle about 100 users and its starting to groan a little. I can't believe I've need more machine due to trying to catch spam. Worse, I'm getting way too many false positives. Spamassassin/Razor only catch a fraction of stuff that gets sent. without the extra filters (on the order of 200 to 300), I would get 40 to 50 per day. I'm really really frustrated at trying to clamp down on this stuff. What really gets me is the number of infected windows machines that are blindly sending email or relaying mail and their owners not knowing it.

It would still be handier to have procmail record its process id with each entry in the logfile.

Curtis

David W. Tamkin wrote:

Curtis wrote to me privately, saying that none of the posted solutions is to his liking, and proposing that he keep a separate logfile for each user, with $LOGNAME in its basename.

Apparently he's using one logfile for all the users on the system and setting it in /etc/procmailrc? His post didn't tell us that part. No wonder he gets so many clashes.

Curtis, yes, separate them by user. But near the end of /etc/procmailrc, just before procmail moves to the recipient's ~/.procmailrc, add

DROPPRIVS=yes
LOGFILE=$HOME/.procmaillog # or something similar that suits your system

so that users who don't think of setting LOGFILE themselves won't wonder where their log entries are going.