Re: Upgrading from mbox to maildir

2004-10-31 12:10:10
From: von(_dot_)knobloch(_at_)t-online(_dot_)de (Robert & Sabine von Knobloch)
Subject: Upgrading from mbox to maildir
To: "Procmail (E-Mail)" <procmail(_at_)lists(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de>

Dear Procmailers,

I have changed my system (who said never change a running system ??)to
use Maildir, rather than mbox (which has worked well for quite a
while). After much seeking for procmail syntax to match the new
directory structure (there are many different answers on the web), I
have it almost working. My remaining problem (and I can't see how it
can occur) is that the incoming mails are being delivered correctly to
the right directories, but with the wrong username.
I have an account called 'postbote' that gets all mails and should
then put them in the directory structure (this is how it was with
mbox). The mails are now being written with GROUP postbote but USER
root. Naturally the mail clients (Mozilla) don't like this. If I
manually adjust the file ownership, everything is OK, but new mails
are still getting user as root. I use fetchmail (6.2.5-2) to get the
mails, procmail (3.22-13)to sort them, dovecot (0.99.10.5-0.FC2)imap
for client's access (Mozilla) and sendmail(8.12.11-4.6) for central
sending. Can anyone point me in the right direction please ??

I was working exactly this problem a short while ago (see procmail Digest, Vol
21,Issue 24 and there abouts). Basically, you need to set "DROPPRIVS=yes" in
your global procmailrc file, or simply "DROPPRIVS" (depending on whether it is
a switch or a state, which isn't clear to me).

-Jeff