lockfile oddities

2004-11-09 08:53:37
Hi,

I'm experiencing some strange phenomena which is not really reproduceable (sadly).

I use sendmail+procmail to deliver mails to individual mailboxes for a few accounts (~10). So far, it works like a charm. Procmail also uses dspam and a virusscanner to check emails. Again, works fine.

But: sometimes (with several weeks to months between) procmail just decides not to remove a .lock and naturally, sendmail fills the mailqueue and I end up with a bunch of delivery processes and invoked procmail instances in the processlist. Plus, the user cannot login anymore.

This morning it happened again (well, 3 days ago but I just noticed) and I had about 200-300 spams hanging. Strangely, this only happens for _the_same_ user only; all other boxes work fine since their setup. I killed the processes and cleaned the mqueue; additionally, I re-created the mailbox and piped the old one into it. And now, it works fine again.

--

Smith & Wesson
The original point and click interface