Re: bug in ^TO_ macro: character '+' *is* allowed in emails

2004-11-26 08:44:22
Tristan Savatier wrote:

the question is:

would fixing the macro actually break many procmailrc files that
knowingly assume that ^TO_ will catch the last part of email
addresses that contains characters like + and = ?

You never know.

Stephen was going to change ^TO to expand to what we now know as the
expansion of ^TO_.  I shrieked, please no, because I depended on such
things as getting a match to ^TOfoo from "To: owner-foo" in my mail.

His response was that he should have used the name ^TO_ for the token in
the first place anyway, so ^TO would remain unchanged while a new ^TO_
token would not match on a string ending in a hyphen.

There could well be people trying to match on what *follows* a plus sign or an equal sign. In fact, I'd bet on the former as people try to distinguish mail for one of their plussed subaddresses from others.