Re: bug in ^TO_ macro: character '+' *is* allowed in emails

2004-11-26 14:31:25
At 09:44 2004-11-27 +1300, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
Sorry but I find this discussion somewhat pointless (and only glanced
over it). It's unlikely to be a good idea to change the definitions of
^TO and ^TO_ as they've been static frever.

I agree that changing thes _helper_ macros would be folly. If someone wants something more specific, they can construct it themselves - and the original definitions are clearly documented, so that shouldn't be too challenging.

I did have problems with the pre-defined patterns myself: FROM_DAEMON
matched info(_at_)some(_dot_)domain(_dot_)net, when this email address is used
by a real
person. In fact, those info@ addresses are very common these days.

Well, there's some morons using "postmaster" and "root" for personal mail too. No stopping people from using special-purpose addresses as their own. That's the problem with opening up the net to clueless people.

 This
effectively makes FROM_DAEMON useless for avoiding to respond to daemons
as it also catches real addresses.

Well, there's also idiots sending daemon messages (like delivery failures) FROM the email address of the intended recipient. And spam/virus filters sending out autoreplies from any number of funky addresses. So, don't expect any macro to be a catchall.