Re: help for a newbie

2004-11-30 09:40:21
On 30 Nov 2004 jondola(_at_)mtaonline(_dot_)net
(jondola(_at_)mtaonline(_dot_)net) wrote:

 Reverse Spam Filtering: Winning Without Fighting
 <http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/spam/>

I've tried and am still attempting to get this whitelist implemented.
I had placed the provided recipe at the end of my .procmailrc, seems it was
to late, my freinds ended up in the spam list, I then tried placing it as
#2 on the list, there must be an error in the way I copied/paste, here's

What do you mean by "#2 on the list"? If you read my Reverse Spam Filtering page, which I linked to in my previous message (excerpted above), you'll see that I recommend doing your whitelist (aka greenlist) processing *before* any spam processing.

Before I (or others) spend time helping you debug your recipe, can you tell us about your programming experience? E.g., how much do you know about regular expressions and basic Unix tools like grep? Do you have some basic procmail recipes working? It seems to me that you need to learn some basic procmail rules, namely:

Use a lock file when delivering to mbox-format mailboxes, i.e., the :0 line needs a second colon.

 Each condition line must start with an asterisk (*).

Hope this is helpful,
NM

--
Infinite Ink: <http://www.ii.com/>