Re: Whitelisting/Greenlisting (Was: help for a newbie)

2004-11-30 10:31:38
On 30 Nov 2004 NM Public (agorae(_at_)nm(_dot_)deflexion(_dot_)com) wrote:
Another option, which is what I use, is this:

:0:
* ? formail -rtzxTo: | fgrep -i -q -f $PMDIR/greenlist
$WHITE

I've been avoiding posting this because I'm not sure it is the best way to do it so if anyone has any suggestions about the optimal way to do this, please post and then I'll write about it on one my pages and we can be done with this constantly recurring thread!

Thanks,
NM

PS - and of course I'll give credit to the people who help optimize this recipe!

PPS - My greenlist (aka whitelist) contains one email address per line and is constructed using a script similar to the one I posted in May 1998 in this message:

PPPS - Yahoo recently filed a patent for something similar to this. The patent application is

 Apparatus, system and method for use in generating and maintaining an
electronic address book

<http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=20040186848.PGNR.>

I wonder if I should let the patent office know about my scripts and procmail recipes?!

NM

--
Infinite Ink: <http://www.ii.com/>
Procmail Quick Start: <http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/>