Re: help. my rules just stopped working...

2004-12-06 09:53:21
At 09:49 2004-12-06 -0600, Christopher L. Barnard did say:
but isn't "h" enabled by default?

h *AND* b, unless ONE or the other is specified. In this case, just h, meaning to pipe ONLY the headers. Think of a 100KB message body, with perhaps 3KB of headers. Do you want to pipe 103KB to formail, or just 3KB ? The end result will be the same, but you'll have better performance.

  And i would think that I should not
have "i" since if there is an error in the recipe I want to hear about it.

Er, and how do you figure you're going to be notified of the error? Some notification delivered to you by procmail?

i is about write errors - where procmail determines that the filter program didn't actually read everything procmail provided on the message. You shouldn't have this problem with formail, though more generic filter programs may legitimatley exit early, and there's often good reason to want to let the filter run as if it were all read.

Unless Dallman has some gem about the use of 'i' in this context (and he very well may, plus I'm working on 2.5 hours of sleep here, so I may very well be especially slow on the uptake today), I'd agree that 'i' isn't necessary in the case of this recipe.