Re: cannot create /IMAPdir//INBOX/: is a directory

2004-12-11 16:58:41
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:50:08 -0700, Computer King
<maillist(_at_)computerking(_dot_)ca> wrote:

No it is not the Default directory i think it is the standard Maildir
directory but i use IMAP style directories not too sure why

Firstly, the word MAILDIR as a variable name in procmail predates, and
has absolutely nothing to do with, the mail storage format called
"Maildir" which was invented quite some years later.

Secondly, directories using the Maildir format (tmp,cur,new subdirs)
are NOT "IMAP style" and in fact the author of the IMAP specifications
strongly recommends AGAINST using that format, and does not support it
in the reference IMAP implementation.

That doesn't mean it's not possible to have an IMAP server that uses
Maildir for storage, although the most popular attempts have so far
been broken in one way or another (I don't know specifically about
Binc); but don't call it "IMAP style".  IMAP is a *protocol*, it's
supposed to be largely independent of the format in which the messages
are stored.

but read they were better somewhere.

Don't believe everything you read.  The proponents of that format will
go on with religious fervor about how wonderful it is, and I imaginge
some of them are about to flame me for  suggesting otherwise.  As with
almost anything, it has advantages and disadvantages.

I also read that i have to add a trialling / to my MAILDIR so that
procmail treats it as a Maildir or IMAPdir style directory.  Is this not
true?

It it not true.

For clarity, let's call a Maildir format directory (one of those
directories that has subdirs tmp, cur, and new) a "folder" for the
rest of this discussion, to distinguish it from other directories that
have other purposes.

MAILDIR in procmail is NOT meant to give the name of a "folder".
MAILDIR in procmail should give the name of a directory that
*contains* (is the parent directory of) the set of folders that store
your actual mail.

The variable DEFAULT is meant to give the name of a folder.  That's
the variable that must have a trailing slash so that procmail treats
it as a folder in the Maildir sense.

I am really getting sick of playing with / and just need a solid
explanation

We'd need to see the procmail recipe that stores the mail into
BULKFOLDER to have some idea of why you're getting that error.  It
might even be the case that procmail is just warning you
(unnecessarily) that the directory already exists; the Folder: line in
your log output seems to indicate that the message was successfully
stored.  Or it might be a permission problem of some sort.