RE: procmail - a condition .. LOOPING OOPS

2005-01-11 11:38:11

<SNIP>

But you still don't need sed for that.  Procmail
handles
regexes just fine.  Assuming dashes and also no
dashes
in the local usernames, then:

  :0
  * ^Delivered-To:.*-\/[^(_at_)]+
  { LOCALNAME  $MATCH }  # did I really forget the
                          # dollar-sign above?
Feh!
                          # Hmm, looking back at my
                          # copy, no, I did not
forget;
                          # you are mangling my
text while
                          # quoting me (and also
leaving
                          # off the attribution).
Please
                          # be careful about such!

Must be the webmail client or something else along the
way snipped the dollar, not me (or by accident - sorry).
Care will be taken over attribution.

So you are matching on the hyphen in for example

zz_plusz-axelrod-localuser(_at_)somewhere(_dot_)com

to extract

localuser

Hmmm - yes ok.  However, when the mails get here they
have multiple addresses in that field so is this safe ?
It would seem safer to match the zz_plusz-axelrod- string
... if you know a way to do that and retain only the localuser
without sed or similar please give.

If it's not the users' own processes running
procmail,
then how can messages be safely written to their
spools?
If root is writing to the spools (i.e., no
$DROPPRIVS
invoked), then root owns the messages.  Either the
users then can't delete them or, if they can, then
something owned by root is writeable by users, which
is not secure.

Unless I misunderstand the delivery after leaving
procmail in the code I mailed is with sendmail so
this is not an issue, its just like any local mailer
maling another user.

(Please don't top-quote and leave all the previous
stuff in
that you have said is inapplicable anyway!  Many
lines
deleted here.)

point taken.

Even if you wanted to do all that above -- a
hodge-podge system

I don't disagree but some other things I do make me
left with pop3 not direct smtp to this box so I can't see there
is any reasonable alternative.  Fetchmail isn't
far from being able to do this but I don't know how
to fetch out the mangled address with that.  The fetchmail
manual explains that multi-drop mail from one file
is kludgy and dangerous but that's without the
intended recipient being "hard coded" this easily
identifiable way which seems to get around the issues -
its only delivering one mail to one user at a time
and not doing anything with cc, bcc, etc.

attribution left below ;-). :).

that I do not at all recommend -- nevertheless, you
do not
really need sed!

Dallman

ok thanks