Variable names (Was: how to deliver to a file with a unique time-stamped file name, reliably?)

2005-01-20 04:25:12
On 20 Jan 2005 Robert Allerstorfer (roal(_at_)anet(_dot_)at) wrote:
Also, I don't think using all-UPPERCASE characters for a variable name
is a good idea since there is no way to distinguish such variables from
procmail's built-in ones. If a custom variable always begins with
a lowercase character, then we are prepared when an updated procmail
version introduces a new variable which then could theoretically match
exactly (should there ever be a new procmail version).

That's a good point Robert. Does anyone know if there are any conventions for naming user-defined procmail variables? Or for user-defined variables in the Unix world in general? I'd like to discuss this in this section of my Procmail Quick Start:

 Use Consistent Naming and Formatting Styles
 <http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/#style>

Thanks,
Nancy

--