Re: Variable names

2005-01-20 08:38:24
Toen wij NM Public kietelden, kwam er dit uit:

Does anyone know if there are any
conventions for naming user-defined procmail variables?

I (try to) follow a namespace-approach. Inside abc.inc
I use abc_Varname for variables.

At the end of abc.inc I (should) unset all variables
that have no business outside abc.inc.

I sometimes used double underscore for locals, so
abc__Varname, but than an abc_Varname could also exist
and that would be a new source of problems. An
alternative would be abc_LOC_Varname.

Inside .procmailrc, the special 'PM_' prefix could be
chosen. And 'H_' for values derived from Headers, 'B_'
for body-vars, 'G_' for common globals.

Some often used variables should stay as they are, like
SPC, TAB, WSP (the one without []), NL, and such.

Or for
user-defined variables in the Unix world in general?

Both perl and PHP have namespaces. That helps a lot.

In a new procmail, we could have real namespaces, like
namespace.Varname. And multiple matches, like MATCH1..
MATCHn. And, and, ...

--
Grtz, Ruud