Re: Nested recipes... (sorry if this is sent twice.. )

2005-01-24 13:20:44
On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 12:08:11PM -0500, Glenn Sieb wrote:

Ruud H.G. van Tol said the following on 1/24/2005 10:50 AM:

Thanks for all of this, Ruud and Dallman! :)) I'm now in the process of
condensing my .procmailrc file, and so far have done so by about 200
lines! This whole procedure has really made it easier for me to see how
procmail sees things and how to make it easier to filter my email!

I use a slightly different approach, that allows grouping of
messages:

[...]

LIST2BOX = '
advocacy:meta
announce:tech
chat:misc
etc:etc'

:0A
*$ LIST2BOX ?? ^[$WSP]*$\MATCH:\/[^$WSP]+
.FreeBSD.$MATCH/
:0E
.FreeBSD.misc/

I am curious, what is the significance of the : operator in $LIST2BOX?

I believe he's just using it as a field separator.

Very glad you found the discussion immediately useful.

The next step to "professionalizing" your .procmailrc might be to have
a few sections that get called as INCLUDERCs.  This can be an effective
way to streamline the visibility and presentation of the code that
should have your attention, while suppressing from constant view the
parts that are more like functions or subroutines in a higher-level
language.  Don't overdo it, though: remember that calling an INCLUDERC
or SWITCHRC also takes a file read -- though these are likely to
be cached pretty quickly, so in truth it's not much of a strain.

Ruud and David, thanks again for the refinement to the case-checker
idea.

--
dman