RE: New types of Trojans coming

2005-02-03 14:25:03
At 13:20 2005-02-03 -0600, Pettit, Paul wrote:
> (for instance, you can't block them using a dial-up list type DNSBL,
> because the machine passing the message to your host is an actual ISP
> mailserver, not the user's own machine).
>
> Yes, blacklists aren't particularly effective against this
> chuff.

Well not sure where your getting your info from but my maillog and the
feedback from many other mail server admins seems to refute your stand.

I *DID* *NOT* say that blacklists are ineffective. What I said is that they're ineffective for blocking zombie-spew being relayed via legitimate ISPs (by CUSTOMERS of those ISPs) - that'd be the "this chuff" which was outlined in the paragraphs preceeding my DNSBL comment.

Go grab another coffee and put less milk in it this time.

As for virii worms using the ISP's mail servers for relaying, not true.

Yes, the vast majority of viruses deliver directly from the infected host to your MX. There are tens upon tens of thousands of viruses - every last one of them doesn't do it's thing the exact same way as all the others.

I assure you, there are viruses which relay using either the mailserver for the infected user or the mailservers associated with the email addresses they're forging themselves to be from - while outbound SMTP servers are not necessarily the same as the inbound ones (for small outfits, they often are, but larger shops generally segregate them on performance grounds), and the latter are the only ones which have a defined standard for identifying in DNS, since such viruses are most often extracting addresses from saved email, they've got access to headers right there. It's all pretty trivial to do.

I am NOT confusing a bogus hostname provided in the SMTP EHLO greeting here either. Here's an example set of received headers from malware using an ISP mailserver:

From: "Microsoft Program Security Department"
<vzrrmsno(_at_)bulletin(_dot_)msdn(_dot_)net>

versus an infected system using the ISP relay associated with the user's own ISP (but differing from the forged address):

From: Robin<wtlxpik(_at_)twics(_dot_)com>

I don't track the names of all the viruses, but one virus I specifically recall made use of ISP mailservers to relay was Klez.

I've really got better things to do with my time than to rummage through old message headers looking for examples to prove a statement. If you want to maintain that viruses have never used ISP mailservers to relay themselves, instead going direct to the recipient SMTP server, that's fine. That won't change the reality of it however.

The SMTP server in the virii does it's own DNS look up for the target
domains MX record and then does the connection it's self.

Many do exactly this (which is why refusing connections from dialup/broadband netblocks is effective in stopping the crap that does this). I also employ a weighted score for number of received: headers - only one means they submitted it directly to my MX, which means it didn't relay through their own SMTP host, and that jacks up the score.

The point here is that the concept of relaying using a legitimate ISP really isn't novel. Unwanted mail has already been arriving via legitimate ISPs - now more of it is likely to be spam, rather than malware.

It's actually sort of good news when you think about it: insecure establishments will be forced to secure their hosts (and/or filter for malware and spam before relaying messages) or possibly find themselves on DNS blocklists, and in turn, lose customers who tire of having their legitimate email refused because their ISP isn't processing outbound mail.

It's not ideal (ideal would be no spam and no malware to begin with), but it should lead to some improvements, esp among the larger ISPs which are responsible for connecting so many of the clueless to the internet.

I'd prefer to not waste the CPU cycles in allowing these onto my server.

Which is why one uses DNSBLs to block the crap at the SMTP connection. No argument there. Re-read my original post after you've had some coffee.

I'm a huge fan of DNSBLs - anyone who's been on this list for very long should be aware of that.

As for prosecuting, unless you have deep pockets it's a waste of time
and money. All you need to do is look at how "effective" the courts have

Which is why I quoted "laws", much as you have quoted "effective". My point in raising that was that those messages which manage to get through DNSBLs and are tackled by the filters end up being potential material evidence IF a case were ever to be pursued, whereas DNSBL entries in your maillog are circumstantial at best, since no actual spam was received. I did not indicate that bringing a legal action would in any way be feasable.