Re: New types of Trojans coming

2005-02-03 17:05:22
On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 21:56:07 +0100, Dallman Ross <dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com>
wrote:
On 03, 2005 at 09:45:26AM -0800, Professional Software
Engineering wrote:
Er, spammers have been using trojans for a while now already.  Yes,
traditionally, the user's own PC is converted into a mail server and
it delivers mail directly.

Yes, and that's a crucial difference.

Maybe we will finally see ISPs take proactive measures (limiting
outbound email to 500/day or some number) and shutting off the pipe
the instant spam is reported.

The large ISPs still have the attitutde that the spammer/zombie si
their 'customer.'  That has to change and the access to outbound email
has to be cut-off very quickly until the infected machines can be
cleaned up.

that kind of thing too.)  But if the mail is going to go out via
the ISP's usual channels, then the heuristic for identifying it
gets a bit tougher.  That's what caught my interest.

ISPs will be blacklisted for allowing spam through if they don't do
anything about it.

--
<http://2blog.kreme.com/>