Re: Showing all env vars

2005-04-20 09:47:55
On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 10:00:03AM -0500, David W. Tamkin wrote:

On 4/20/05, Dallman Ross <dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com> wrote:

SHELL = /bin/sh
LOG = `dummy=; export $dummy`

After reading Dallman's post I was going to say it's the same as

 LOG=`export;`

Bart replied first, saying,

Er, that should be just the same as

LOG=`export`

but I honestly believe that Bart's syntax is wrong and mine is right.

Correct.  I had tried Bart's suggestion before I ever posted, and
it hadn't worked.  I was testing using empirical means anyway; I
had no idea why it was giving me that result.  But I stripped down
the accidental expression that had led to my discovery until I got
to what I thought was the tersest way to invoke it.  I see now that
it was another accident -- the accident of having a semicolon in
there -- that caused it to work, and that David is correct about
the minimalist way to create this output.

I'm unsure about Udi's report that it didn't work on his system,
though.  Hmm.

 LOG=`typeset +x;`

On NetBSD, which is what I'm on, the Bourne shell is not a
mere renamed subset of bash.  The typeset thing doesn't work
under /bin/sh.  If I set my shell to bash, though, it does work.
I understand that on many Linux implementations, though, sh
is just a renamed, partially disabled bash.

Thanks, guys.

--
dman