Sanity check please

2005-04-23 15:28:49
Will this:

* ! ^From.*\"James\".*\<\*\*\*\*\*\*\*(_dot_)*\(_at_)(_dot_)*\>

Catch this?

.From: "James" <*******************(_at_)mail(_dot_)sysmatrix(_dot_)net>

A buddy of mine has apparently taken some dweeb's suggestion for spam
prevention by altering the "Email address" in his Outlook Express settings
to prevent people from automatically adding him to their address books.

His actual address is jbishop at tejasph dot com. I don't have the
sysmatrix mail servers spam checking set rabid enough to insist on a valid
"From:" so the messages come through and the sysmatrix mail server tries to
guess at what to stick in there. The current spam scanner does insert this
header:

munged by me)

Because he's using SMTP Auth to be able to send email through his server
and it puts a proper "Sender:" header in the delivery envelope. But I'm not
sure a similar header will be added to the final email when I shift the
server to SpamAssassin/PostFix.

To make sure I'm reading my own recipe correctly:

This: * ! ^From.*\"James\".*\<\*\*\*\*\*\*\*(_dot_)*\(_at_)(_dot_)*\>

says:

"From followed by one or more of any character followed by "James" followed
by one or maor of any character followed by < followed by at least 7 *'s
followed by one or more of any character followed by @ followed by one or
more of any character followed by >"

Wow, what a run on.

I don't get much mail from him and just noticed that the last 2 (announcing
the birth of his son) got filtered into a dropthrough folder. Luckily it's
one I check at least every few days.

Thanks,

Gerald