Re: virtual mailboxes

2005-04-25 12:35:13
At 11:50 2005-04-25 -0600, Lloyd Standish wrote:

Can someone help me with this? I need to find a way to have procmail store messages to virtual mailboxes. My web host uses virtual mailboxes to implement multiple mailboxes. How might I find out the physical address of a virtual mailbox (or are they variable)?

That's a matter you should take up with the maker of the virtual mailbox package you're using. Procmail can deliver to a file, or pipe the message to a program to deliver it.

To illustrate, I have a hosting account called costa-rica-natural. The only mailbox I find I can write to is costa-rica-natural, like this:

:0:
/var/spool/mail/costa-rica-natural

I have another email address lgs(_at_)costa-rica-natural(_dot_)com, but this
:0:
/var/spool/mail/lgs

Er, two email _addresses_ don't equate to two actual mailboxes.

Do you have separate login credidentials to the server to retrieve the mail for these two addresses? If not, then they aren't separate mailboxes.

Further, if you're writing to these from your shell account, as a user, rather than ROOT, then you can't arbitrarily write to another mail spool file, unless it is owned by you (or unless your host has crappy security settings on the spool directory).