procmail on a pass thru unix mail server

2005-06-27 10:55:18
I take care of a unix mail server that is a pass thru mail server, where mail ultimately ends up on a ms exchange box.

On the unix box, I am running sendmail 8.13.x with an access list (/etc/mail/access.*). There are about 40 users and forwarding (to the ms box) is currently accomplished using the /etc/mail/aliases file. There are currently no accounts on the unix system other than for administrative purposes

I am a new procmail user and was interested in using procmail for additional mail filtering. I did do some RTFM'ing and I do know from the FAQ that procmail is not an MTA.

My first thought was to create user accounts on my unix system, and call procmail from a .forward file in the users home directory. The things that I tried didn't work, and I was unable to find any documentation in relation to what I am attempting to do.

Am I on the right track, or is there some other way that I should be attempting this?

TIA for any pointers,

Jerry K