Re: Procmail, sendmail and external forwarding from /etc/aliases

2005-06-28 11:39:35
At 15:15 2005-06-28 +0100, Evgeni Vachkov wrote:
Mail delivery to system local mailboxes is placed in $HOME/spam if marked with '[SPAM]' in the header, which is fine.

You should make sure that all such accounts actually HAVE a valid $HOME. Also, specifying a SHELL in the /etc/procmailrc is good practice. Both of these are especially true in light of the nature of your request and alias processing (aliased users don't have a home dir, nor do they have a shell - the account your mail process runs as has these settings, but they're unlikely to be what you expect, since the mail user shouldn't normally be able to log in).

The problem!:- I have a number of external accounts in /etc/aliases and all spam mail is forwarded to them without the [SPAM] in the header.

Because they're not local accounts. Your MTA isn't invoking the LDA to handle those messages.

You don't by any chance _read_ this list do you? There's a curiously similar matter posted just yesterday, with a curiously similar solution...

I believe this is because sendmail relays to external accounts without actually passing mail through procmail and spamassassin for some reason...

"some reason" being they're not local. Invoke sendmail in address validation mode and pass it an email address and it'll tell you which mailer it would use:

sendmail -bv someaddress

This works for local addresses, aliases, and remote addresses.  Try it.