Re: questions about anchoring

2005-06-29 06:28:24
  One of them is anchoring.  Quite frankly, I've read and
reread the man pages, but it still doesn't make sense to me.
What is anchoring?  What does the "^^" really do?  How does it
affect a matching expression?  If someone would be so kind as
to elaborate and even provide some examples with descriptions,

  I'm not trying to be a pain, but did anyone else get this
original email? The people in this mailing list are typically
very good in someone offering at least a minimal reply within
30 minutes to a few hours.  I was just surprised that there
was not a single reply, which led me to believe that perhaps
no one else received it?

  I am still clueless about what anchoring means in regards
to matching.  I've looks at plenty of examples, but it's not
obvious (to me) what anchoring does, or why I should use it.
Could someone please elaborate on it's use?  I would be quite
tickled!

Thanks!

Brad/Mr Duck