includerc, explicit to:, /dev/null

2005-06-30 13:56:41

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Cazares [mailto:robert(_at_)visicomm(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 3:20 PM
To: procmail(_at_)lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
Subject: includerc, explicit to:, /dev/null

Good day,

Disclaimer:
I r an procmail newbie. I have spent the last two weeks on occasion perusing
as much procmail data as I could. Now my head hurts. Ouch. After having
searched  and read just about everything I could about procmail and procmail
recopies,  I feel I am at a loss for correctly implementing, what I
previously considered via procmail, a simple purge to /dev/null of unwanted
emails on the server before having my local email client request them. I do
feel that I now have enough  information to begin and probably really hurt
myself; AKA "NEWS FLASH: Man shoots foot with what was thought to be an
unloaded revolver".

Desired requirement: Procmail includerc file that I can drop explicit names
in the form of "emailname(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com" for redirection and launch to
/dev/null.

End solution: To delete unwanted emails addressed to my domain via a
procmail recipe that I have predetermine as SPAM.

Misc thoughts: I do realize there are probably more elegant solutions to my
desired end solution. However, a simplistic approach such as an includerc
containing  a list of undesirable email addresses that are easy to read,
alphabetically listed and explicitly defined is the route I care to take.
Wondering, am I just lazy?!?

Other solutions: Third party SPAM paring tools such as SpamAssasin may be
considered (but probably not) at a later time.
The bottom line is that I would rather keep SPAM paring as simplistic as
possible and within the confines of one software application (if possible).

System info -
System is owned and maintained at local ISP.
SYSTEM: 2.4.20-29.8.progeny.8 #1 Tue Aug 10 00:13:38 EDT 2004 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux
PROCMAIL: procmail v3.22 2001/09/10

Field notes -
Current includerc filter state as determined by procmail.log:
The good news: Working, finally, after having found that I dropped a paren
in the includerc and also needed to insert LINEBUF=4096 so it wouldn't throw
an  "Exceeded LINEBUF" fit.
The not so good news: It appears it dumps all my mail to /dev/null.

I'm thinking that I should probably extract and save header info for later
perusal before launching the unwanteds off into /dev/null to insure that I
am not tossing  anything important (yeah right).
# This or some other convoluted header extraction recipe variation
:0 hwc:
    * !^FROM_MAILER
    | cat >>heads

As an aside, mailstat is currently keeping the log file bit bloat
manageable.

Field notes ][ -
Since my includerc is tossing all mail it has been temporarily disabled.

Suggestions, comments, and/or flames warmly accepted at
procmail(_at_)visiciomm(_dot_)com(_dot_)

Best regards,

Robert Cazares
Senior Quality Assurance Analyst

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
.procmailrc and includerc file follows -

<start .procmailrc>

SHELL=/bin/bash
LOGFILE="/home/rcazares/procmail.log"
LOGABSTRACT="all"
VERBOSE="on"
#
# This or some other convoluted header extraction recipe variation starts
here
#
INCLUDERC=/home/rcazares/.procmail-blacklist1

<end .procmailrc>

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

<start includerc - 3438 bytes, 340 lines, 2760 characters, 346 words, 4
others (snipped for brevity)>

LINEBUF=4096
# Filter out unwanted emails to my domain
:0:
* ^TO_(austin|\
adam|\
adkins|\