Re: Forwarding and Baracudda Spam Appliance

2005-07-13 07:58:00
On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 09:22:44AM -0400, Hughes, Patrick wrote:

All our colleges email is received by a Unix server running sendmail.
Administrative email then is forwarded to the Exchange server. But to
first get to the Exchange server, the mail goes thru a Barracuda Spam
Firewall appliance. The Unix group just recently started using procmail.
In the past mail was forwarded by a .forward file. Using procmail, all
mail the Barracuda "Top Senders Report" shows only one domain, our Unix
email server. Using a .forward file, the Barracuda "Top Senders Report"
shows the actual domain the email originated from. By not having the
original domain, we are not able to filter email by domain.

Well, how are you forwarding with procmail?  The situation you describe
is not how things would look if you did a typical forward with procmail.
So either you're using a non-standard way to do it, or there's something
going on with your setup, such as that maybe your Barracuda thing is
munging the headers.

  :0
  * conditions
  ! forward(_at_)address(_dot_)dom

does not change the sending domain any more than a .forward would.
The Return-Path will be the procmail host machine, though.
You could probably change change it with the appropriate
invocation of sendmail, but it's not really kosher to do so.

Can procmail be configured to forward email, as a .forward file can, to
reflect the original domain of the received email?

But it does do that already.

Or can a .forward file be used in conjunction with procmail?

Yes, .forward can have multiple actions.  I'm not sure that's what
you have in mind, though.

dman