Re: Forwarding and Baracudda Spam Appliance

2005-07-13 11:49:47
On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 11:18:04AM -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:

On 7/13/05, Dallman Ross <dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com> wrote:

  ! forward(_at_)address(_dot_)dom
does not change the sending domain any more than a .forward would.

Yes, it does.

Okay, given my next sentence, not quoted above:
"The Return-Path will be the procmail host machine, though."

It doesn't change the message headers, but it does change the
SMTP MAIL FROM: to be the user for whom the original delivery to
procmail was made.

Probably a clearer statement saying essentially the same thing.
I do appreciate the clarification, in any case.

The solution is to obtain the original envelope sender (possibly by
extracting it from the Return-Path header, but it may be available as
$1 or $2 depending on how procmail is invoked from sendmail) and pass
it back to sendmail again with the -f option, which can usually be
accomplished like so:

:0
* conditions
! -f "$ENVELOPE_FROM" forward(_at_)address(_dot_)dom

(assuming $ENVELOPE_FROM contains the address extracted from
Return-Path or wherever).

This probably won't work if the MTA command-line interface is not
sendmail-compatible, so  use with appropriate care.

I run some redistribution lists that very way.  On our
system at panix, it works, yeah.  I realize this is going
to be system-dependent.

Thanks, Bart.

Dallman