Re: challenge-response

2005-07-25 20:49:12
On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 21:10:31 PM -0600, Lloyd Standish
(lloyd(_at_)costa-rica-natural(_dot_)com) wrote:

Greetings.  Rudd wrote:

My system sends out a "challenge" email in response to every rejected
email, and rejected mails are sent to /dev/null.

How do you know where to send it to? Many messages have faked addresses,
sending messages to those would make one part of the problem.

Of course, the only idea of the "challenge" mail is to give instructions
for a legitimate correspondent to get on my whitelist, I really don't care
whether or not spammers see my challenge email, and of course they
won't.

I *think* Ruud was referring to when *you* spam innocent, real users
with your "challenge" messages. If the spammer grabs in any way *my*
email address and uses it as the sender of spam sent to you, won't
your "challenges" annoy the hell out of *me*? Do you not care about
that too?

Apart from that, in real life I have still to see anybody bothering to
answer challenge-and-response email, except to flame or when the
challenger is already known and owes money/can offer a job to the
challenged.

Ciao,
        Marco

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 3 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

Don't you wish you had more energy... or less ambition?