Re: challenge-response

2005-07-27 01:55:17
Lloyd Standish wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 23:06:20 -0600,
<procmail-request(_at_)lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE> wrote:

The matter of faked isn't simply INVALID, but rather when the
spammer
chooses to Joe-job someone, or just (as many viruses do these
days) forge
mail using harvested email addresses.

That is certainly a legitimate argument against challenge-response.  What
you say does happen, but I believe it is very seldom.

As former victim of such a harvested email address being used
as sender for spam, I can only strongly affirm that the damage
is very real.  I received about 2000-3000 "replies" on the first days
going from "user unknown" (usually from MS Exchange mailers) to real
insults directed to me personally (which must have been taken a
considerable amount of time of the writers too).
Even weeks after the event, I still received back scatter emails.

What I perceived as most damaging is that between all those "bounces"
(they do not all have the "Re:..." subject line either), there are
still some real normal messages for me, which I did not want to miss.

On the other hand, my procmailrc skills were making great progress.

http://www.xplanation.com/          email:
Paul(_dot_)Bijnens(_at_)xplanation(_dot_)com
* init 0, kill -9 1, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del, AltGr-NumLock, Stop-A, ... *