Re: problem with ... following rules

2005-07-31 19:25:45
At 05:33 2005-08-01 +0530, Ligesh wrote:
  I am sorry, you are blabbering about something you have no clue about.
What does 'In-Reply-To' has to do with munging 'Reply-To'?

Drop the crayons and back away from the computer.

Refer to your original post to this list.  Note the subject, note the Re:,
when it wasn't in reply to a discussion here, and how the subject is
obviously from a s*bscription welcome message and is therefore meaningless
babble, note the References: which didn't relate to any post on this list.

I referred to rules and logic.  You obviously don't share the same ones WRT
meaningful group communication, yet you question the chosen protocols of
this group, which weren't decided overnight, and certainly not by a single
individual.

sender. See.  You have no idea of what the heck you are talking about.

I'll gladly sell you half a dozen clues, but you'll have to pay for them in
USD via PayPal in advance of delivery (I've been cheated way too many times
- some people take the clues and run).  If you need more, you'll need to
find them elsewhere, since I like to keep a healthy number of clues in
reserve for some of the other clueless people I deal with.

  What if my screen is smaller than 75 chars. What if I am viewing the
mail in vim that is split in the middle? And it looks quite ugly in forums.

Inadequate systems should compensate for their own inadequacies, not
redefine how the rest of the internet should fuction so that they may be
included.  The converse is reasonably true as well - just because some
"nifty" new thing like yellow or cyan on white text is available doesn't
mean it should be utilized, or that it is a good idea.  Colour in email
communication leaves a lot to be desired, and I've yet to see *ANY* RFC's
defining what colours mean what.

Perhaps you'd like to take up the torch for top posting too?

Look at all the different web forum implementations out there, no two using
quite the same way to present data.  Is this really a BENEFIT to
users?  Having to learn to navigate so many different wannabe standards in
order to communicate?

Email has remained the effective communication tool that it is because it
is simple.  Technical mailing lists have by and large chosen to remain
plain text because it doesn't clutter communications with someone's idea of
"style" and colour preferences.

  Your attitude is absurd. You are treating a random number - 75 in this case

No, actually 80, and it isn't random - I already explained the origins of
the 80 column limitation, and you know that, but you seem bent on arguing.
75 or so allows for easy indentation for a few replies without changing
formatting (and anyone quoting something five itarations back probably
shouldn't be doing that anyway).

 -  as if it was ordained by God.

Kind 'o hard for me to do since I'm an athiest, not that it has anything do
do with my technical outlook.

(Wow, bringing up war criminals AND religion in justification of your
position.  How mature and well reasoned.)

  Exactly. Please go configure the mailman like I had explained above.
And you can avoid such ugly/arrogant disclaimers at the end of the mail.

Requesting people to not carbon me is arrogant?  Actually, the ONLY people
who manage to CC: me are either entering addresses manually, or have buggy
MUAs, and therefore changed to the mailman configuration would have NO
effect.  But since you're mangling your email on arrival, I'm guessing
you're unaware of that.

Also, as it happens, I _can_ change the mailman options for this list, but
I wouldn't dream of doing so unless there was a consensus of the
contributing users, and prior to your arrival, this hasn't been much of a
hot topic, since people here are usually geared towards discussing how to
resolve problems with procmail.

It'd be awfully nice if the people who plop in here would respect the
protocols of this group rather than telling us we're all idjuts for
choosing efficiency over glitz.  But hey, we all suffer from short
attention spans, so nobody is going to remember your actions the next time
you seek assistance, right?

Lessee, address in subject, sign with my public key, and send to my
killfile processor... Okay, done.