Re: Spam filter anomaly

2005-08-31 13:14:38
On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 03:04:30PM -0400, Louis Proyect wrote:

The other day I asked about scoring. That was a last ditch effort
on my part to filter out some spam that seems resistant to normal
procmail recipes. I have put together some documentation at:

http://www.columbia.edu/~lnp3/PennyStocks.htm

It consists of:

1. My .procmailrc script.

2. The recipes that are meant to catch anything with "st0ck" or
"St0ck", a dead giveaway for Penny Stock newsletters that 9 out
of 10 times are hypeing non-existent companies!

3. A sample spam that was not caught by the filter.

4. The procmail output generated for the spam with verbose
on. You'll note that it didn't find a match on "st0ck" when it is
clearly evident.

5. What is truly bizarre is the procmail output I get when I
simply forward the same message to myself. When I do this, it is
caught by the filter. I can't understand how this is possible.

Louis, I don't even need to go to your web site to know exactly
what is going on.  The mail you couldn't catch is base64-encoded.
Your mail reader decodes it.  When you use your mail reader
to send the message, it turns the message into text, and
your filter works.

I happened to discuss this very same issue in some detail in
your and my shell provider's local (non-public) newsgroup,
panix.questions, yesterday.  included in that discussion was
some detailed analysis.

Since you're on panix, and these discussions have been
frequent and fuitful on panix, I suggest you look in on
those recent threads.  I will email you the Message-ID
for the particular post I am referring to that I wrote
yesterday.

The rest of you: well, panix is a pre-eminent shell provider.
If you're looking for same, come on over.  The water's fine.
Then you can read the panix.questions posts too.  ;-p
(Oh, and tell 'em I sent ya.)

Dallman