Re: Error while writing to <mbox file>

2005-10-08 17:19:06
* Gary Funck <gary(_at_)intrepid(_dot_)com> [2005-10-04 22:18]:

I think the size of the logfile matters little, however contention
for the log file might matter a lot.  Were you doing a fair amount
of logging to the central mail log?  Also, I think this was asked
before, but is your mail and log directory located on an NFS or
Samba mount?  Any possibility that it is getting overloaded?

Everything is local.

For the record, the problem has gone away.  Either this is because I
rolled over my main initial log file, or because I decided to break
the mbox files down even further.

Since the problem was only with my largest inbox (for the high volume
mythtv list), I imagine the anomaly has something to do with that.  I
streamed the massive inbox (along with mythtv messages that errored
and were misplaced) back into procmail (via formail) after structuring
the procmail scripts to break that list up into quarterly files.

It seems procmail has a limit on mbox filesize.  One thing that makes
me think otherwise: the very first recipe of my scripts copies the
message into a "backup" file unconditionally.  That file grew to be
407 megs without problems.  So there's still some doubt.