Re: Error while writing to <mbox file>

2005-10-02 20:35:22
Excerpt from mindfuq(_at_)verizon(_dot_)net:

Based on Ruud's comment, my best guess at this point is that my
machine is sluggish with operating on that large of a file, and might
be causing some sort of timeout.  I will probably try to break it down
further so it creates a new mythtv inbox every quarter of a year.  I
might also look into whether procmail has a tunable parameter for
timing out on OS tasks.

What's interesting is that I've noticed that it's only failing half
the time, so that could indicate timing.

I don't think you said how much RAM you have.  Maybe your computer with
procmail is clumsy with files on the order of 140 MB.  I want to make sure
I can read the file with elvis (an enhanced open-source vi clone), and I've
never read any text file beyond the order of 6 MB.  Reading through 6 MB is
smooth with elvis 2.1.4 or newer version in Linux, but navigating through a
text file beyond about 1.5 MB with the DOS port of elvis 2.1.4, running
under DR-DOS 7.03, becomes prohibitively slow and clumsy.  So I assume there
is some point at which reading through a file becomes clumsy and awkward in
the Unixes and quasi-Unixes, though I think the Unixes and quasi-Unixes are
much more efficient than DOS at using large amounts of RAM.  So really huge
files with procmail would make me very nervous.

Tom