RE: Who is the procmail maintainer? (revisited 2005)

2005-11-03 23:25:43

-----Original Message-----
From:  Bart Schaefer
Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 4:42 PM
To: procmail(_at_)lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
Subject: Re: Who is the procmail maintainer? (revisited 2005)

On 11/3/05, Google Kreme <gkreme(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

PCRE/better (modern) regex

Didn't we have a thread on this topic?

We did, the upshot of which was that it's unlikely ever to happen,
because too many existing procmailrc files contain
characters/sequences that would be misinterpreted if the regular
expression syntax were to change.
[...]

All good points, but an upward compatible interface would
not be difficult to engineer.  For example, right now we
have:

* <current procmail pattern match recipe>

but we could invent a new leading character for the new, improved
interface:

+ <new procmail pattern match recipe>

or more simply:

REQUIRES="4.0"

which says that this recipe file requires version 4.0 or higher.
Presumably all INCLUDEs would require the newer version.

In the dark of night, when the rest of the house is asleep,
I've sometimes contemplated even more radical enhancements to
procmail recipes encompassing such unmentionables as looping
constructs, and (gasp!) attechment handling. <g>