Re: Spam and Procmail

2005-12-09 06:09:29
MailingList schreef:

Sorry... I forgot to change my setting to Plain Text in my previous
post.... we do all make mistakes sometime.

That message will be in one of my spamboxes.

I am trying to "spam proof" (not that this is really possible, but I
want to do the best I can) a new server I am building for web and
mail hosting.

Is it better to use the global procmailrc file for achieve this?

Is there a list of "bad" domains and dsn available? Can anyone point
me to a reliable recipie to help in this task?

Don't reïnvent the wheel. If your server is powerful enough, install
SpamAssassin.

For a serious mail server, in order:

  1. SMTP-level: DNSBL, DCC-check, etc.
  2. central: virus detection
  3a. user: sender whitelist
  3b. central: spam detection
  4. user: procmail

(please comment)

Central spam-detection will not likely use bayesian or other techniques
that work with user dependent information. Configure SpamAssassin for
central usage.

Give the user the choice at which Spam-Score-range the mail is delivered
in his spambox, for example:
   10 or higher : discard
   5 or higher  : to spambox
   else         : accept

Run a daily cron-job that deletes old (like >1 month) messages from the
spamboxes of all users.

--
Grtz, Ruud