Re: procmail with mutt

2006-01-13 18:05:28
[ please don't cross-post ]

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Gerald Britton wrote:

Can anyone tell me the right way to get procmail working with mutt?  I
have procmailrc set up like this:

$ cat /etc/procmailrc
# Use mbox-style mailbox in FHS standard directory
DEFAULT=/var/mail/$LOGNAME

That's already the default, you don't need that. It is better that
you remove that line.

LOGFILE=$HOME/procmail

I would not use /etc/procmailrc for that but .procmailrc instead.

I also have my userid set up as a directory under /var/mail/.
However, when I send myself an E-mail, I get something like this:

$ ls /var/mail/me/
msg.7QdS  msg.ChmU  msg.MSbU  msg.V_WF  msg.amXT  msg.ikDB  msg.sXSF
msg.sXbU  msg.uWtL  msg.wWtL  msg.x3cS

So, you tell procmail to deliver to a directory, and that's what procmail does
when you ask it to deliver to a directory. From the manpage:

         If it is a directory, the mail will be delivered to a newly
  created, guaranteed to be unique file named $MSGPREFIX* in the
  specified directory.

If you really want "mbox-style mailbox in FHS standard directory"
then /var/mail/you should not be a directory, but a file, usually
owned by you:mail. Such file will contain all the messages, and mutt
will be able to read it.