Processing plussed addresses

2006-02-04 09:59:37
I've decided that I'd like to process plussed addresses at a certain point
in my procmail recipes.

The to: field can be of the for:

alan+web(_at_)domain1(_dot_)example
sir(_dot_)alan+web(_at_)domain1(_dot_)example
alan+web(_at_)domain2(_dot_)example

sir.alan is delivered to alan because of a sendmail virtual user table
entry.

Basically, what I think I want to detect is stuff in the local part after
the plus, eg web above but I might in the future want to handle alan+web
differently from sir.alan+web.  Also, I think I should detect the domain
as well, domain1.example, domain2.example etc.

The aim is to compare the address with a list or lists and allow plussed
addresses in without further pocessing unless they are in a list.  For
instance, sir(_dot_)alan+web(_at_)domain1(_dot_)example will not be allowed in
without
further processing but if I sign up with a new bank and give an address of
alan+banksname@ to them, then the default action at this point in the
processing is to to allow emails to that address.

So what is a good way of handling this?  Can I put, and how, the various
parts into variables?  Or would it just be simpler to detect the + in the
address

* ^(to|cc):.*/+.*@

(written without reference to docs so syntax might be incorrect) and then
just check the to: and cc: addresses against a list of complete addresses
such as alan+web(_at_)domain2(_dot_)example - I do something similar elsewhere
so
that shouldn't be a problem to implement?

--
Alan

( Please do not email me AS WELL as replying to the list.  Please
   address personal email to alan+1@ as lists@ is not read. A
   password autoresponder may be invoked if this email is very old. )