Re: sync References with In-Reply-To

2006-02-12 13:23:50
At 13:01 2006-02-12 +0100, Ruud H.G. van Tol wrote:

Sat, 11
Feb   2006 22:26:42 -0700

See RFC 2822: CFWS is Comment-allowed Folding-allowed WhiteSpace.

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 10:57:16 -0800 Professional Software Engineering
<PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org> wrote:

comments yes, but the basic content of the In-Reply-To: is supposed to be a
message-id.  There isn't one being presented there.

And the message ID of the original message to which he was replying was
nowhere in the headers or body of his reply. If I were to be building a
threaded archive of a list to which there were WebTV subscribers I would
have to go in and manually correct the headers of all of their messages.

It might be possible to do it programmatically but it would require:

1. Check the WebTV user message headers for an IRT header to determine if
it is a reply or a new message to the list

2. Read the email address and date/time from the WebTV IRT header

3. Search the mail store (mbox probably) for a message that has a From:
header that matches the retrieved address and a Date header than matches
the retrieved date/time

4. Read the Message-ID header from that message

5. Rewrite the IRT header in the inbound WebTV message.

6. Pass the rewritten message to the archive mail store.

I think it would be easier to find a webmail setup that works with WebTV
and set it up then offer the WebTV user a local mail account for use with
the list. <grin>.

Gerald