what does this mean: "cannot execute binary file"?

2006-04-12 08:20:07
My email suddenly ceased being delivered.  I checked the mailq on the
server and saw this:

 (temporary failure. Command output: formail: /usr/bin/formail: cannot execute
 binary file
 formail: /usr/bin/formail: cannot execute binary file procmail: Couldn't
 chdir to "/home/me/Maildir/"

the directory "/home/me/Maildir/" certainly does exist and has for  some time.

Can someone give me an indication what is going on, what broke, and
how to fix it?

My webhosting company (Dreamhost) seems to have absolutely no clue.  I
reported this as a problem and removed my .forward-postfix so mail
would get delivered until they solved the problem... Some 8 hours
later they "tested" the problem by sending me an email, and when it
was received they said "OH, well the problem must be solved, you're
getting email now."

DUH!  Of course it was received, but procmail/formail still isn't working!

ARGH!

TjL

ps - since I can't login to the mail server, I made a temporary
procmail recipe which ran 'mailq' and mailed it to me off-site :-)