Re: what does this mean: "cannot execute binary file"?

2006-04-30 11:57:10
Dallman Ross wrote:

The first person I knew of on this list to have talked about
that was David Tamkin, so until and unless I hear otherwise,
I'll attribute the trick to him.

But I in turn got it from something Stephen van den Berg had originally
suggested.

When he added maildir support, I asked this: what if we want to deliver
to a legacy directory and don't know if it exists?  We used to use what
boiled down to

  :0 flags
  * conditions
  target/
  :0e
  * ? mkdir target
  target/

but how could we do that now that target/ means a maildir and, in fact,
procmail will create a maildir, or the new/ cur/ tmp/ subdirectories of
an existing directory, if we deliver to target/?

Stephen's answer was this:

  :0 flags
  * conditions
  target/../target
  :0e
  * ? mkdir target
  target

So when another only-if-the-directory-already-exists situation came up,
I suggested the same tactic.

Now the question is whether I'll make the same change as you.  Of the
three sites where I can run procmail, two use mboxes.  The other uses
maildir and I do need to distinguish among derived maildirs that already
exist, those that should be created, and those that should not be
created.  So I'll have to look over my own code.  The ugliness you see
in the verbose log is not a factor for me; I almost never have occasion
for verbose logging in that part of my code, and it's not that ugly to
me anyway.