Re: lock/temporary files being created by procmail

2006-05-25 06:38:28

On Wed, 24 May 2006, Errol Casey wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Clifford" <lists(_at_)clifford(_dot_)ac>
To: <procmail(_at_)lists(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de>
Sent: Wednesday, May 24, 2006 4:05 AM
Subject: Re: lock/temporary files being created by procmail

On Wed, 24 May 2006, Errol Casey wrote:

EC> I am seeing files of the following format created in
EC> /var/spool/mail
EC>
EC> ./_YHH+t6GjDB.serverX.domain
EC>
EC>
EC>
EC> When using strace, I can see procmail look for one of these
EC> files; and find it; and then continue multiple times looking
EC> for a similarly
EC> named file.
EC>
EC> Why does it continue to look for a file, after successfully
EC> opening it?

I can see from your verbose procmail log that the error occurs on line 36
of your .procmailrc file.

Unfortunately, the dates of the underscore files and the procmail.log don't
match; so I don't have any valid logs that would be of help. Hence their
absence.

        Try:

ls -ltu ./__*.domain
ls -lt  ./__*.domain
ls -ltc ./__*.domain

        It will give you some clues about the times.  I use '*' because
        in my experience they cam in groups.  It happend to me when I
        was short in disk space.  Look in other logs in the system like
        /log/messages.   Did you try lsof(1)?

Bye,
 Udi

The questions were more from the aspect, if experienced procmail users new
how the file names were generated; and why they may be left behind -- and if
procmail could be
reconfigured to use other directories than the default mail spool.

I will continue monitoring, to see if anything shows up in the log file and
reply; but at this point there is no
log entries in relationship to my questions.