lock/temporary files being created by procmail

2006-05-23 21:52:27
I am seeing files of the following format created in
/var/spool/mail

./_YHH+t6GjDB.serverX.domain

When using strace, I can see procmail look for one of these
files; and find it; and then continue multiple times looking
for a similarly
named file.

Why does it continue to look for a file, after successfully
opening it?

Why are these files sometimes left behind? Possibly from procmail
being killed?

Is there a way to relocate the directory to which these
files are created?

I attempted to search the archive for the answer; I saw
one posting that mentioned the similar name format; but
didn't see any answers to my above questions.