Re: suggestions for reply to users of old listserv domain

2006-08-01 14:27:05
Thanks for the reply. In addition to list traffic, there is other valid mail
being sent to the server1 address. The Mailman program on server1 has been
shut down, but other mail is still handled by the server1 MTA. Until we
shutdown the server1 machine, I need to distinguish between list traffic and
other mail. That is why I though of using Procmail.

On 8/1/06, Professional Software Engineering
<PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org>
wrote:

At 11:58 2006-08-01 -0700, Christopher Adams wrote:
>So, I thought I would utilize Procmail to catch messages sent to the old
><mailto:listname(_at_)server1(_dot_)domain(_dot_)com>listname(_at_)server1(_dot_)domain(_dot_)com
 address
>and reply with a message like "This is no longer the correct address for
>the list. Please post your message to
><mailto:listname(_at_)server2(_dot_)domain(_dot_)com>listname(_at_)server2(_dot_)domain(_dot_)com
 .

Use the MTA to simply bounce a concise message (or URL) in response to
messages addressed to the now invalid address.  No real need to involve
procmail, because at that point, you've actually accepted the message - if
you bounce at the MTA, it'll occur during the recupient addressing phase,
before the body of the message has been passed to your server.

>Since there is other/non-list mail being sent to
><http://server1.domain.com>server1.domain.com, I can't

This is why I use a "lists.domain.tld" setup on my own servers. <g>

  Procmail disclaimer: <
http://www.professional.org/procmail/disclaimer.html>
  Please DO NOT carbon me on list replies.  I'll get my copy from the
list.

Christopher Adams
adamsca(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com