directories as folders (beed Procmail vs perl script syntax)

2006-08-18 22:44:51
When Jack wrote,

:0 $SORBS

with no second colon for a local lockfile, Ruud's answer included this:

(2) If $SORBS doesn't end in a slash, but is an existing directory,
then this recipe is also OK, because procmail will deliver to a
unique filename (see MSGPREFIX in man procmailrc).

Someone once wrote to me with a long explanation, which since I am no
Unix expert I couldn't follow, that deliveries to traditional procmail
directories and to MH directories need local lockfiles and that only
maildir delivery can run safely without them.  I pretty much answered,
"uh huh, uh huh, if you say so."

If he was right or wrong, I wouldn't know, having had access only to
systems using mboxes or maildirs.  But his claim certainly *seemed*
wrong, especially for traditional procmail directories.