Re: beginner's question

2006-10-03 11:17:56
the Aachen relays rejected this message so ZS asked me to forward it ...

Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 19:50:18 +0200 (CEST)
From: Zbigniew Szalbot <zbyszek(_at_)szalbot(_dot_)homedns(_dot_)org>
To: "David R. Linn" <drl(_at_)mailhost2(_dot_)vuse(_dot_)vanderbilt(_dot_)edu>
cc: procmail(_at_)lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
Subject: Re: beginner's question

First of all thanks for your kindness to be willing to help me!

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, David R. Linn wrote:

Sadly, there is a lot of ancient advice about procmail still floating
around the Internet.  The advice above was written in the context of
Sendmail calling /bin/sh to handle writes to pipes (i.e. the "prog"
mailer in sendmail).  The string following the "|" symbol is actually
a shell command, i.e. "execute /usr/local/bin/procmail or exit with
a status of 75 if you are unable to do so".

It looks like exim is trying the execute the "exec" command by finding
and invoking a program named "exec" but there is no such program; "exec"
is a command built-in to the Bourne shell and its workalikes.

Try changing your .forward entry to

"|/usr/local/bin/procmail"

or

"|/bin/sh -c 'exec /usr/local/bin/procmail || exit 75'"

Unfortunately, none of the above seems to work. Maybe I will get more luck
asking on the exim list but thank you again for your help.

Warm regards,

--
Zbigniew Szalbot